Minors making Major Decisions – Voluntarily Relinquishing U.S. Citizenship as a Minor (Guest Post – Immigration Law)

Question: If a parent cannot relinquish U.S. citizenship on behalf of a minor, then why should a parent be able to bestow U.S. citizenship on a minor child who was born abroad?

Interesting article.


Minors making major decisions – voluntarily relinquishing U.S. citizenship as a minor [No Tax Discussion]

This is a guest post from immigration lawyer Mr. Jan Bejar –

**Relinquishing U.S citizenship as a minor can be a major undertaking given the irrevocable and important nature of the act. Parents and guardians cannot relinquish the U.S. citizenship of their children. As the Department of State’s Foreign Affairs Manual states, “Expatriation, like marriage and voting, is a personal elective right that cannot be exercised by another.”[1]

If a minor wants to renounce his or her U.S. citizenship, then the minor must appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer in a foreign country (normally at a U.S. embassy or consulate) and sign an oath of renunciation. As with any voluntary renunciation of U.S. citizenship regardless of age, the consular officer must be convinced that the minor is renouncing voluntarily, with…

View original post 460 more words

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.