Loss of US Nationality – Renunciation versus Relinquishment?

“If you relinquish your US citizenship, you must establish not only the expatriating act, but also your intent to expatriate and complete a detailed questionnaire (Form DS-4079, Request for Determining Possible Loss of US Citizenship) [8] have an interview with a US diplomatic or consular officer abroad, and get it approved by a Department of State (DOS) official which will issue a Certificate of Loss of Nationality of the United States, Form DS-4083 (CLN)[9].”


Guest Post from Immigration Lawyer Ms. Teodora Purcell

Loss of US Nationality – Renunciation versus Relinquishment?

If you are a US citizen or a US non-citizen national,[1] you can lose your nationality (“expatriate”) by committing certain acts specified in the immigration statute [2] voluntarilyand with the intention to relinquish your nationality.[3]US Passport

Expatriation is a personal right that cannot be exercised by another, for example, a parent cannot renounce the US citizenship of a minor child. Your motivation is also not relevant, unless you later claim you gave up your US citizenship under duress or involuntary

How can you lose US nationality?

You can lose your US nationality as a result of renunciation or relinquishment and if you make such a claim, the burden is on you to show by preponderance of the evidence (i.e. more likely than not) that all requirements have been met.[4]

The most unequivocal and the formal…

View original post 381 more words

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.